What is a Monitor Mount or Monitor Arm?
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A monitor mount is a supportive bracket or arm designed to hold up a computer monitor, laptop, notebook or other display screen. Monitor arm and monitor bracket are other common terms for this device.
Flat panel monitors became increasingly popular as the technology grew less expensive during early to mid 2000s. These lighter monitors were better suited for a wider range of movement than the heavier cathode ray tube monitor that was previously sold with most computers. The patent for inventing the monitor mount belongs to Rob Mossman and is dated from September 20, 2006; however monitor mounts have been available for at least six years before the patent was issued. Several companies like Ergotron, Multibrackets ab, Mount- it, Loctek and Herman Miller have been producing mounts since the early 2000s.
The added functionality of monitor mounts has made them very popular. Depending on the model, monitor mounts can move up and down, rotate, tilt, retract and swivel. VESA is an organization that manages the standards for mounting solutions. In 1997, VESA came up with a standard hole size and screwing pattern for flat panel screens, called Flat Display Mounting Interface (usually known as VESA mount), which is still valid today. Almost all monitor mounts follow this VESA standard in one form or another. Monitor manufacturers typically create a standard VESA hole pattern on the back of the monitor for mounting purposes.
A monitor mount placed at the appropriate height, distance and angle can help “prevent possible health effects such as excessive fatigue, eye strain, and neck and back pain.”;
- Wall-mounted – mounts onto wall.
- Clamp – clamp hardware fastens to edge of desk.
- Grommet – hardware is inserted through hole in desk and secured underneath.
(B) Common Workstation Setups
- Single monitor arm – the most common usage.
- Multiple monitor arms – with the rise of m ulti-screen setups, mounts with multiple monitor arms are becoming more common.
- Laptop arm – designed to support a laptop.
- Mixed use – dual arm mount supporting a monitor and a laptop or tablet.
Each of the major monitor mount manufacturers offers different products with respect to shape, functionality, etc. The one feature common to all manufacturers is the improved ergonomic benefits of a properly adjusted computer workstation. Monitor mount brands sold in the United States and Europe include Ergotron, Multibrackets ab, Humanscale, Herman Miller, Lumi, Loctek, Chief, In Europe
- ^ http://www.google.com/patents/EP1703195A1?cl=en
- ^ https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/computerworkstations/components_monitors.html
- ^ http://www.cwa-union.org/pages/computer_workplace_ergonomics